About Me:

Aloha! I'm Wendy Kennar. I'm the mother of a seven-year-old son and a wife living in Los Angeles. I was a public school teacher for twelve years until a chronic medical condition made it necessary to leave my teaching career.

I've always been described as "quiet" - really, I'm just biting my tongue. I've got lots to say, and lots of thoughts to share, I just prefer to write them. That's the purpose of this blog. Each Wednesday, I post a personal essay offering my observations and thoughts.

A few fun facts about me: I've wanted to be a writer since second grade, when my teacher, Mrs. Jones, made me a "book" with a yellow construction paper cover. I have never learned to whistle, have always preferred sunflowers to roses, and have spent my life living within the same zip code.

Through the years, my writing has been published in the Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, United Teacher, GreenPrints, L.A. Parent, DivineCaroline.com, RoleReboot.org, XOJane, and Brain, Child Magazine. Additionally, my personal essays have been included in several anthologies, including: The Barefoot Review, Beyond the Diaper Bag, Lessons From My Parents, Write for Light, Being a Grown-Up: A User's Manual for the Real World, Ka-Pow!, How Writing Can Get You Through Tough Times, Breath and Shadow, The Grey Wolfe Storybook, and Sisters Born, Sisters Found.
I am a regular contributor at MomsLA.com, and you can also find me at Goodreads.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. Feel free to comment and share my blog with others!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Here's to You, Dr. Seuss!

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” - Dr. Seuss

Happy Birthday to You!, fittingly the title of a book authored by the beloved Dr. Seuss.  This week’s blog is a tribute to a man I consider a genius.
Dr. Seuss created worlds and characters that enchanted readers.  Of all ages.  I am just as tickled by The Cat in the Hat as a mother reading it to her son as I was as a child reading it in the public library.  Dr. Seuss took all the “rules” of writing and broke them.  Splendidly.  He created whole books revolving around nonsense words - words that don’t exist in the English language that nonetheless rhyme with more familiar words and are incredibly fun to read out loud (There’s a Wocket in My Pocket).  
As a mother and a teacher, I look to Dr. Seuss books to inspire.  Children want to read these books, and they soon find they can.  I remember my sister’s pride at reading Green Eggs and Ham; her first book read without any help.  Those memories are eternal.  
As a writer, I am in awe of all that Dr. Seuss was able to accomplish.  His books have helped children learn to read, and love to read.  His repetitive language, whimsical worlds, and zany characters make for a fun time.  And learning to read is difficult work.  It requires patience and persistence.  Dr. Seuss’s books honor those qualities.   
Beyond these fanciful tales, Dr. Seuss managed to integrate life lessons, words of wisdom that resonate for all, regardless of age or reading ability.  Here are a few stand-out Seussisms:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” 
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..." 
“Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”

5 comments:

  1. I love your article! I missed celebrating Dr. Seuss day! He really does have a good message underneath the silliness; I love it! Have you read the children's book about his life? "The Boy on Fairfield Street." Such a nice little bio on his life. I particularly love the quotes you shared here.
    Keep up the great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing amazes me.You are truly gifted with words and expressing yourself and the reader is so drawn into what you write.I am so glad you are doing this weekly blog.I love you and I am very proud of you.
    love,mommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read any books from Doctor Seuss. But reading your blog gives me the urge to do so. Your Mother and I enjoy your blog. We are very proud of you.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey,

    I love reading the playful words and rhymes that Dr. Suess created.
    He was one of my first childhood reading memories.

    I Love You!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last line got me.. "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." Every day I think about Rosewood and you. I cry about the memories I am missing out on. Between the rush of life, it's hard to take time and smile. Thanks for your phone call on Dr. Seuss day. It was only until I was in my jammies on Friday morning that I realized what it was going to be like without you. I am sorry you went through one of our favorite days alone. Your blog this week was a fine tribute to a man who brings joy to many people, children and adults. Thanks for bring joy to my life. I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete