About Me:

Aloha! I'm Wendy Kennar. I'm the mother of a seven-year-old son and a wife living in Los Angeles. I was a public school teacher for twelve years until a chronic medical condition made it necessary to leave my teaching career.

I've always been described as "quiet" - really, I'm just biting my tongue. I've got lots to say, and lots of thoughts to share, I just prefer to write them. That's the purpose of this blog. Each Wednesday, I post a personal essay offering my observations and thoughts.

A few fun facts about me: I've wanted to be a writer since second grade, when my teacher, Mrs. Jones, made me a "book" with a yellow construction paper cover. I have never learned to whistle, have always preferred sunflowers to roses, and have spent my life living within the same zip code.

Through the years, my writing has been published in the Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, United Teacher, GreenPrints, L.A. Parent, DivineCaroline.com, RoleReboot.org, XOJane, and Brain, Child Magazine. Additionally, my personal essays have been included in several anthologies, including: The Barefoot Review, Beyond the Diaper Bag, Lessons From My Parents, Write for Light, Being a Grown-Up: A User's Manual for the Real World, Ka-Pow!, How Writing Can Get You Through Tough Times, Breath and Shadow, The Grey Wolfe Storybook, and Sisters Born, Sisters Found.
I am a regular contributor at MomsLA.com, and you can also find me at Goodreads.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. Feel free to comment and share my blog with others!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Being Wendy



   I recently purchased a children’s picture book - for myself.  Being Wendy by Fran Drescher.  I admit; I was first intrigued by the title.  There are only a few claims to fame for fellow Wendy’s:  my name is said to have been invented by J. M. Barrie for his “frendy Wendy” character in Peter Pan, and I’ve got a hamburger fast food chain that shares my name.

   When I was younger, I didn’t always like my name.  A girl can only be teased about fast-food hamburgers and it being “windy outside and Wendy inside” so many times.  As an adult, I still wish people pronounced my name with the short-e vowel sound, making it Wendy, instead of the short-i vowel sound, making it Windy.  There is a difference.  

   Being Wendy is the story of Wendy, a girl who doesn’t want to choose to wear one box for the rest of her life.  In her hometown, the rule is :  “The Boxville way is to choose a box for the rest of your days.”  She doesn’t want to just be a teacher, just be a police officer, just be any one thing.  Her ideas and her dreams are too far-reaching, and one box just won’t work for her.

Lucky for Wendy, she’s got parents who believe in her and support her.  (So do I).

You’re a very special girl, Wendy,” said her dad.  “You have a lot of different talents that make you you.  And that’s a good thing!  You should do anything and everything you want.  We all should!”

   Wendy and her parents ditch their boxes and move to Freedomland.

   It’s not that easy for me.

   As little-girl-Wendy, I knew I wanted to be an astronaut.  I also knew there would be many other things I would do - I would travel and live abroad, I’d write, I’d learn to swing dance, I’d garden, I’d live by the ocean.  

   I changed, life happens, and as adult-Wendy, I feel like my world has closed in certain ways.  I became a college student.  A wife.  A teacher.  A writer.  A mother.  And as the years go by, and my to-do lists and number of responsibilities grow, the harder I’m finding it to be, or do, all the things I’d like to be and do.

   Me, being the Wendy I am, I try to wear all my boxes at once.  Mommy-wife-teacher-daughter-friend.  Sometimes, I can juggle and do it all.  Other times, I shortchange something in the process (usually myself - my sleep, my peace of mind, or both).

   I bought this book as a reminder, a reaffirmation.  I can’t be confined to just one box, and I shouldn’t be confined to just one box.  Some days, it may feel like I wear one box more than another, but it doesn’t mean they’re not all still there, and all still a part of who I am as Wendy.  

4 comments:

  1. I am sorry at times you have difficulty with your name.When you were born your dad and I thought the name "Wendy"fit you perfectly.It is sad that people can't seem to pronounce your name correctly or they think it is cute to mis-pronounce it.You certainly are a person of many different boxes and that is a good thing.You are a very "special" person and one that should be looked up to for all your many qualities.I have always been bothered by people calling me "Annie"because my name is spelled with an E(Anne).You are a remarkable person and your dad and I feel so blessed to have you as our daughter.I love you and I am very proud of you.
    love,mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a gifted person and I enjoy reading your Weekly Words. As Forrest Gump says "Life is like a box of chocolate, You never know what your going to get". I pray for the day that your health issues are resolved. I am very proud of you and your Son.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey,
    I think your name is wonderful and unique! It is very easy in life to get caught up in the routines and forget about all the different things we dream of. This essay is a great reminder to keep the dreams alive of what we want to do in life.
    I Love You!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete