About Me:

Aloha! I'm Wendy Kennar. I'm the mother of a seven-year-old son and a wife living in Los Angeles. I was a public school teacher for twelve years until a chronic medical condition made it necessary to leave my teaching career.

I've always been described as "quiet" - really, I'm just biting my tongue. I've got lots to say, and lots of thoughts to share, I just prefer to write them. That's the purpose of this blog. Each Wednesday, I post a personal essay offering my observations and thoughts.

A few fun facts about me: I've wanted to be a writer since second grade, when my teacher, Mrs. Jones, made me a "book" with a yellow construction paper cover. I have never learned to whistle, have always preferred sunflowers to roses, and have spent my life living within the same zip code.

Through the years, my writing has been published in the Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, United Teacher, GreenPrints, L.A. Parent, DivineCaroline.com, RoleReboot.org, XOJane, and Brain, Child Magazine. Additionally, my personal essays have been included in several anthologies, including: The Barefoot Review, Beyond the Diaper Bag, Lessons From My Parents, Write for Light, Being a Grown-Up: A User's Manual for the Real World, Ka-Pow!, How Writing Can Get You Through Tough Times, Breath and Shadow, The Grey Wolfe Storybook, and Sisters Born, Sisters Found.
I am a regular contributor at MomsLA.com, and you can also find me at Goodreads.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. Feel free to comment and share my blog with others!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Falling Down Laughing


It’s an old cliche that laughter is the best medicine.  I don’t know about that.  Honestly, it depends.  After I’ve had a lot of blood work, I’d much rather some chocolate than a deep-belly-laugh session.  There are times when I feel weighted down - with worry, with pain, with frustration.  During those times, a hot fudge sundae isn’t going to help, but a hearty laugh might.

However, I’m slightly embarrassed to admit what makes me laugh.  Sure, I have the usuals - a tickle on the bottom of my foot, watching my son dance, a clever joke.  But what really gets me going is something that seems out of character, even to me.

I admit that I am a kindergarten teacher at heart, always on the lookout for those untied shoelaces.  And while I don’t offer to tie strangers’ laces, I do remind them to be careful because their laces are untied.  I constantly remind my fourth-grade students to face forward while walking, to be careful when lifting their chairs off their desks, to walk slowly when the hallways are slippery on a rainy day.

But, I have a dark side.  I find absolute delight in watching videos showing people falling, especially if I know the fall was planned and no one was hurt.  There are two movies starring Sandra Bullock that I can think of in this context.

Miss Congeniality starred Sandra Bullock as an undercover FBI agent competing in the Miss USA Pageant.  During one presentation, Sandra Bullock’s character loses her footing, falls down, and then pops back up with her hair sticking up on a Statue of Liberty-like crown.  

All About Steve had one super-memorable moment for me.  It was depicted in the movie’s trailer (which I watched several times).  Sandra Bullock walks purposely and quickly, not noticing her proximity to a large hole.  She subsequently falls into this huge hole.  The trailer showed video footage of her fall, being replayed by another character in the movie.  (I’m not the only one who found it worthy of watching more than once).

I don’t just laugh.  I laugh until tears form in the corners of my eyes.  I laugh until I’m wheezing and need to use my inhaler.  I laugh until my own laughter sounds ridiculously high-pitched and I start laughing all over again.

There’s an Irish proverb that states, “A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor’s book.”  I haven’t achieved the long sleep yet, but at least I know how to get the good laugh.

3 comments:

  1. Well,I must say I haven't gotten to the long sleep yet either,but I do have a very hearty laugh and once I start to laugh it usually gets others to laugh also.I love reading your work and it amazes me how you come up with the topics that you write about.I love you and I am very proud of you.
    love,mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading your blogs. I am always fascinated how you come up with your topics. If laughter is the best medicine, I hope you are laughing all the time. If you want your feet tickled, don't hesitate to call. Your Mother & I are proud of you.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey,
    This article is fantastic! Laughter is a wonderful way to lighten up our hearts and minds. I enjoy our laughter together and look forward to many more laughs! Watching you laugh to the scene where Sandra Bullock falls into the hole in the ground is priceless!
    I Love you with all of my heart!
    Love,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete