About Me:

Aloha! I'm Wendy Kennar. I'm the mother of a seven-year-old son and a wife living in Los Angeles. I was a public school teacher for twelve years until a chronic medical condition made it necessary to leave my teaching career.

I've always been described as "quiet" - really, I'm just biting my tongue. I've got lots to say, and lots of thoughts to share, I just prefer to write them. That's the purpose of this blog. Each Wednesday, I post a personal essay offering my observations and thoughts.

A few fun facts about me: I've wanted to be a writer since second grade, when my teacher, Mrs. Jones, made me a "book" with a yellow construction paper cover. I have never learned to whistle, have always preferred sunflowers to roses, and have spent my life living within the same zip code.

Through the years, my writing has been published in the Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, United Teacher, GreenPrints, L.A. Parent, DivineCaroline.com, RoleReboot.org, XOJane, and Brain, Child Magazine. Additionally, my personal essays have been included in several anthologies, including: The Barefoot Review, Beyond the Diaper Bag, Lessons From My Parents, Write for Light, Being a Grown-Up: A User's Manual for the Real World, Ka-Pow!, How Writing Can Get You Through Tough Times, Breath and Shadow, The Grey Wolfe Storybook, and Sisters Born, Sisters Found.
I am a regular contributor at MomsLA.com, and you can also find me at Goodreads.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. Feel free to comment and share my blog with others!

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Living With Passion


Dance as though no one is watching you, love as though you have never been hurt before, sing as though no one can hear you, live as though heaven is on earth.- Souza

   Of course, I pray that my son remains safe and healthy.  But I also pray that he continues to live his life with happiness and passion.  His spirit is contagious; I’ve witnessed it first-hand.

   Let me give you an example:

   I spent the first day of my winter break on a date with my number one guy, my son.  We went to the Autry National Center of the American West.  We arrived before the museum opened, so we spent the extra time wandering the Farmer’s Market there.  We marveled at the rainbow of fruits and vegetables; I was astounded that Ryan could identify so many, especially since he refuses to eat some, like cauliflower or tomatoes.  We then sat down while Ryan snacked on Cheerios.  He noticed, and commented on, the things he saw - the man who didn’t push in his chair when he left the table, the man who wore a bike helmet even though he was no longer riding his bike, the baby walking slowly with his parents.  And we listened to musicians singing and playing the guitar.

   The day was crisp, the sky was blue, and I was truly enjoying my son’s company.  I delighted in the pleasure Ryan took from his surroundings.  

   And then my smile grew.  For when it was time to go into the museum, Ryan didn’t walk.  He danced to the music he heard; the music he seemed to feel.  He was oblivious to those around us, and danced his way towards the entrance.  He stopped when the music stopped and applauded the musicians.  And we were both genuinely surprised when two individuals clapped for him, telling us the applause was for “the dancer.”

   Ryan dances because he wants to, because he feels the music.  It is a source of happiness and joy for him, and I hope, for all those around him.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is wonderful how you have special dates with Ryan.He loves being with you.You are a FANTASTIC mommy and doing a wonderful job in raising him.I love watching Ryan dance and sing.He is truly an exceptional child,and I love him to pieces.I love you and I am so proud of you.
    love,mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very proud of you and Ryan. He is a very special lad. I am pleased that he calls me "Grandpa". I am convinced that Ryan, like his mother, will succeed in every endeavor. I enjoy reading your blog. Congratulations on being published "again". Your Mother & I are proud of you.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey,
    I am so proud of our son! He is a true gift of joy to our lives. The way he dances and feels the rhythms of so many styles of music is remarkable. I Love You and I am very proud of the way we are raising our son!
    Love,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete