About Me:

Aloha! I'm Wendy Kennar. I'm the mother of a seven-year-old son and a wife living in Los Angeles. I was a public school teacher for twelve years until a chronic medical condition made it necessary to leave my teaching career.

I've always been described as "quiet" - really, I'm just biting my tongue. I've got lots to say, and lots of thoughts to share, I just prefer to write them. That's the purpose of this blog. Each Wednesday, I post a personal essay offering my observations and thoughts.

A few fun facts about me: I've wanted to be a writer since second grade, when my teacher, Mrs. Jones, made me a "book" with a yellow construction paper cover. I have never learned to whistle, have always preferred sunflowers to roses, and have spent my life living within the same zip code.

Through the years, my writing has been published in the Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, United Teacher, GreenPrints, L.A. Parent, DivineCaroline.com, RoleReboot.org, XOJane, and Brain, Child Magazine. Additionally, my personal essays have been included in several anthologies, including: The Barefoot Review, Beyond the Diaper Bag, Lessons From My Parents, Write for Light, Being a Grown-Up: A User's Manual for the Real World, Ka-Pow!, How Writing Can Get You Through Tough Times, Breath and Shadow, The Grey Wolfe Storybook, and Sisters Born, Sisters Found.
I am a regular contributor at MomsLA.com, and you can also find me at Goodreads.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. Feel free to comment and share my blog with others!

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Oscar Excess


   I didn’t watch the Oscars on Sunday.  My husband and I haven’t seen any of the nominated movies, and I was too busy - busy being mommy, cooking dinner and giving my son a bath, and being teacher, lesson planning and computing report card grades.  But, like many women, I do enjoy viewing what the female celebrities in attendance wore for the big event.  So I did the short-cut version; I browsed through the on-line slide show, clicking away at dresses and tuxes.  Of course, I don’t quietly observe - I comment and critique, I down-right criticize.  But my criticisms remain in my living room and so I feel no harm-no foul.

   I was pleased to learn that Helen Hunt wore a dress she already owned.  She was quite proud of the fact that she wore a dress out-of-her-closet.  Of course, I always associate her with her character from Mad About You, and it makes complete sense that  Jamie Buchman (Hunt’s character on the esteemed television series) would be practical enough to wear a dress she already owned.  Helen Hunt was trying to make a point about the effect we have on our environment, and she used her influence to get a message across.  

   But, I read further, to learn that she accessorized her dress with almost $700,000 worth of jewelry.  My jaw dropped, and I still can’t get that number out of my head.  Who needs to wear that much jewelry?  Why does such jewelry even exist?  How many meals could be delivered to hungry families?  How many jackets purchased for cold children?  How many new pairs of shoes?  How many dental visits?  And how many gallons of clean drinking water?

   All of a sudden, her “recycled” dress seemed a bit hypocritical when worn with jewelry than is worth much more than many years of my salary.  But, when taken in context with the ceremony at hand, I guess it makes sense.

   For all intents and purposes, the Oscars are all about excess.  The amount of media invested in one night, the people who will camp out for hours in front of their television sets.  And it seems to me we get away from the whole point - to acknowledge achievement in film-making.

   So, there I am - a mommy and a teacher, and never one who will wear jewelry equal in value to some houses.  


3 comments:

  1. I too did not watch the Oscars,but saw the outfits.I really don't understand how they can justify such expensive jewelry.I would be afraid to wear jewelry that is priced so high.I feel one tries to out dress the other with their outfits and their jewelry.I feel it is a waste of money that could be used for so many other things.I love reading your work.I love you and I am very proud of you.
    love,mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I three did not watch the Oscars. Your Mother & I haven't seen any of the nominated movies. The biggest impact of the awards was I had to take a different route to work because Highland & Hollywood was closed. I enjoy your blog's. Your Mother and I are proud of you.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey,
    I am so proud of how dedicated you have been to writing great new works for your blog.
    Our world is so full of many wasteful allocations of wealth it is mind-boggling! These awards shows really bring it out to into the open for all to see. I love how practical and thoughtful you are in life.
    I Love You!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete