About Me:

Aloha! I'm Wendy Kennar. I'm the mother of a seven-year-old son and a wife living in Los Angeles. I was a public school teacher for twelve years until a chronic medical condition made it necessary to leave my teaching career.

I've always been described as "quiet" - really, I'm just biting my tongue. I've got lots to say, and lots of thoughts to share, I just prefer to write them. That's the purpose of this blog. Each Wednesday, I post a personal essay offering my observations and thoughts.

A few fun facts about me: I've wanted to be a writer since second grade, when my teacher, Mrs. Jones, made me a "book" with a yellow construction paper cover. I have never learned to whistle, have always preferred sunflowers to roses, and have spent my life living within the same zip code.

Through the years, my writing has been published in the Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, United Teacher, GreenPrints, L.A. Parent, DivineCaroline.com, RoleReboot.org, XOJane, and Brain, Child Magazine. Additionally, my personal essays have been included in several anthologies, including: The Barefoot Review, Beyond the Diaper Bag, Lessons From My Parents, Write for Light, Being a Grown-Up: A User's Manual for the Real World, Ka-Pow!, How Writing Can Get You Through Tough Times, Breath and Shadow, The Grey Wolfe Storybook, and Sisters Born, Sisters Found.
I am a regular contributor at MomsLA.com, and you can also find me at Goodreads.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. Feel free to comment and share my blog with others!

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Thank you, Mommy



           In honor of Mother's Day, I dedicate this blog to a woman I proudly call my friend:  my mom.


   “Thanks Mom” is so inadequate.  Thanks is what I say to the person who holds the door open for me at the coffee shop.  Thanks is what I say to the supermarket cashier.  

   But you are “Mommy” - even now when I’m 37 and you’re 68, you’re still “Mommy.”  “Thanks Mom” doesn’t begin to do you justice.  You are the model for the type of mother I strive to be.

   Today, I tell you I appreciate all the home-cooked meals, and the fact that you stopped making me eat spinach when you knew I had tried it, over and over, and just really didn’t like it.

   Today, I acknowledge the rides you gave me, re-arranging your schedule so you could drive me to and from my part-time jobs, making sure I never had to take a bus home in the dark.

   Today, I recognize that you didn’t tell me I’m beautiful simply because I’m your daughter, but that you really see me that way.

   Today, I credit you for the reason I exercise such patience with my son and my students.  Seldom did you raise your voice to me.

   Today, I proclaim, with my heart full of gratitude, that I would not be the woman I am today if you weren’t, and aren’t, the kind of mother you are.

   Today, and everyday, thank you mommy.

4 comments:

  1. I am writing this with tears coming down my face.You wrote such a beautiful blog and I can't thank you enough for all you said.I love you with all my heart.I thank God for you everyday.You are truly a blessing and every mother should have a daughter like you.But not only are you my daughter you are my friend.I am so glad we have such a wonderful relationship.I love you and I am so proud of you.
    love,mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always. I enjoy, reading your blog. Your Mother is a remarkable woman, but as they say, the apple doen't fall far from the tree. You are also a remarkable woman, like your Mother, you are a wonderfull Wife and Mother. You are doing a fantastic job with Ryan and your dream of becoming a published author, has been acheived repeatly. I am glad you consider your Mother a friend. Your Mother & I are proud of you.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is great. She is a terrific person. Hi Mrs. F! I'm glad to have had the pleasure of meeting her when we became friends. Great tribute to your mom, Wen. Happy Mother's Day to all the mother's out there. I appreciate everything my mom does for me as well. Even as a grown adult woman she's still there for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey,
    This is an absolutely beautiful expression of the great love between you and your Mom! Your Mom is a wonderful woman. Just like you said the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
    I Love You!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete