About Me:

Aloha! I'm Wendy Kennar. I'm the mother of a seven-year-old son and a wife living in Los Angeles. I was a public school teacher for twelve years until a chronic medical condition made it necessary to leave my teaching career.

I've always been described as "quiet" - really, I'm just biting my tongue. I've got lots to say, and lots of thoughts to share, I just prefer to write them. That's the purpose of this blog. Each Wednesday, I post a personal essay offering my observations and thoughts.

A few fun facts about me: I've wanted to be a writer since second grade, when my teacher, Mrs. Jones, made me a "book" with a yellow construction paper cover. I have never learned to whistle, have always preferred sunflowers to roses, and have spent my life living within the same zip code.

Through the years, my writing has been published in the Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, United Teacher, GreenPrints, L.A. Parent, DivineCaroline.com, RoleReboot.org, XOJane, and Brain, Child Magazine. Additionally, my personal essays have been included in several anthologies, including: The Barefoot Review, Beyond the Diaper Bag, Lessons From My Parents, Write for Light, Being a Grown-Up: A User's Manual for the Real World, Ka-Pow!, How Writing Can Get You Through Tough Times, Breath and Shadow, The Grey Wolfe Storybook, and Sisters Born, Sisters Found.
I am a regular contributor at MomsLA.com, and you can also find me at Goodreads.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. Feel free to comment and share my blog with others!

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

A Bittersweet Graduation


                                                      That's me at the podium, on stage at the Greek Theater - 1994


   Last week I had the privilege of attending a high school graduation.  Such an event is a lot like a wedding -- they’re both hopeful occasions, full of promise.  And while you’re there as someone’s guest, most times thoughts seem to drift back to yourself.

   I was Lindsay’s guest.  Lindsay, an intelligent, beautiful young woman was once a student of mine.  In fact during my second year of teaching (2002-2003), she was one of the students in my kindergarten class.

   I have had the good fortune of remaining in touch with Lindsay and her family all these years.  And while I sat at her graduation, my thoughts were all over the place.

   I remembered that kindergarten class.  An exceptional group of kids, and even most impressive, an exceptional group of parents who were supportive, encouraging, and appreciative of my efforts in the classroom.  

   Now, Lindsay was no longer a relatively quiet little girl who sometimes would interrupt our class lessons to talk to me about her cousins.  She is a young woman on the verge of new adventures -- spending time in another country this summer, going off to college this fall.  And, I admit, there’s a part of me that’s envious.  I listened to the graduation speeches and thought they sounded incredibly optimistic (and somewhat naive).  They were so positive.  I realized I didn’t feel as optimistic and positive as I used to.  And that realization saddened me.  

   Twenty-one years ago, I was a graduation speaker at my high school graduation.  I stood on the stage of the Greek Theater and spoke of the “lessons we carry with us.”  But even then, I was learning that things don’t always work out the way you plan them.  I wasn’t about to embark on the grand college adventure I had imagined for so long.  I was about to start commuting on public buses to Los Angeles City College (and I’d later transfer to Cal State Northridge, also on public buses for quite a while).

   My thoughts also jumped ahead to my son.  My seven-year-old who just completed first grade and tells me that becoming a second grader is “awesome.”  Someday, like Andy in Toy Story 3, Ryan will go off to college, and he will make decisions about what childhood items to keep and what items he no longer wants to hold on to.  And I hope that when Ryan’s time comes, he’ll walk across his own stage with his head held high, with a firm belief in the possibilities that his future holds for him.  

   Lindsay’s graduation was a bittersweet event for me.  I am no longer teaching, no longer making the same connections with kids, no longer contributing to a kid’s sense of worth and confidence.  But, at the same time, I realized how special it was that I was there in attendance.  That what I had done during her kindergarten year had meant enough to her and her family to keep me in their thoughts all these years and allow me to share this special time with them.

4 comments:

  1. I think it was wonderful that you have kept in touch with this family all these years.I am sure through the years your kids have had great memories of you.You were an exceptional teacher,and you went above and beyond what teachers do.I love you and I am proud of you.
    love,mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gave your kids a wonderful foundation to grow with. They will always have fond memories of you. Your mother & I are proud of you.
    Love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey,
    I know what great work you put in everyday for your students. They were all lucky to have you guide them not only in school lessons, but life lessons. You should be proud!
    I Love You!
    Love, me

    ReplyDelete

  4. You can access a router’s configuration page using the default IP address of a router. This is usually set by the Manufacturer. The commonly used ones are 192.168.1.1 (Linksys), 10.0.11 (Apple) and 192.168.0.1 (D-link, Netgear, etc). 192 .168.0.1 follow this link to configure and set up your wireless router for use Connect the router to a desktop or laptop via an Ethernet cable. For this to work, you might require LAN drivers pre-installed.

    ReplyDelete