About Me:

Aloha! I'm Wendy Kennar. I'm the mother of a seven-year-old son and a wife living in Los Angeles. I was a public school teacher for twelve years until a chronic medical condition made it necessary to leave my teaching career.

I've always been described as "quiet" - really, I'm just biting my tongue. I've got lots to say, and lots of thoughts to share, I just prefer to write them. That's the purpose of this blog. Each Wednesday, I post a personal essay offering my observations and thoughts.

A few fun facts about me: I've wanted to be a writer since second grade, when my teacher, Mrs. Jones, made me a "book" with a yellow construction paper cover. I have never learned to whistle, have always preferred sunflowers to roses, and have spent my life living within the same zip code.

Through the years, my writing has been published in the Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, United Teacher, GreenPrints, L.A. Parent, DivineCaroline.com, RoleReboot.org, XOJane, and Brain, Child Magazine. Additionally, my personal essays have been included in several anthologies, including: The Barefoot Review, Beyond the Diaper Bag, Lessons From My Parents, Write for Light, Being a Grown-Up: A User's Manual for the Real World, Ka-Pow!, How Writing Can Get You Through Tough Times, Breath and Shadow, The Grey Wolfe Storybook, and Sisters Born, Sisters Found.
I am a regular contributor at MomsLA.com, and you can also find me at Goodreads.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. Feel free to comment and share my blog with others!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Phenomenal Woman

   There are times in life when I feel anything but phenomenal.  I feel run-down, exhausted, unattractive, and frumpy.  I feel frazzled, over-whelmed, and inundated.  This is one of those times.
   As a reminder to myself and my female readers, for this week's blog, I offer you the words of Maya Angelou.


      Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
      I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
      But when I start to tell them, They think I'm telling lies.
      I say, It's in the reach of my arms, The span of my hips,
      The stride of my step, The curl of my lips.
      I'm a woman
      Phenomenally.
      Phenomenal woman, That's me.
      I walk into a room
      Just as cool as you please,
      And to a man,
      The fellows stand or fall down on their knees.
      Then they swarm around me,
      A hive of honey bees.
      I say, It's the fire in my eyes,
      And the flash of my teeth,
      The swing in my waist,
      And the joy in my feet.
      I'm a woman
      Phenomenally.
      Phenomenal woman, That's me.
      Men themselves have wondered what they see in me.
      They try so much but they can't touch
      My inner mystery.
      When I try to show them,
      They say they still can't see.
      I say, It's in the arch of my back, The sun of my smile,
      The ride of my breasts,
      The grace of my style.
      I'm a woman
      Phenomenally.
      Phenomenal woman, That's me.
      Now you understand just why my head's not bowed.
      I don't shout or jump about
      Or have to talk read loud.
      When you see me passing,
      It ought to make you proud.
      I say, It's in the click of my heels,
      The bend of my hair,
      The palm of my hand, the need for my care.
      'Cause I'm a woman
      Phenomenally.
      Phenomenal woman, That's me.

7 comments:

  1. You are an exceptional woman,and anyone who knows you is lucky to be connected to you as a teacher,friend,a wonderful mommy to Ryan,a wonderful wife to Paul,and I am so thankful to have you as my daughter and to have the relationship that we have.Just remember you make a wonderful difference in all the lives you touch.
    love,mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You truly are a phenomenal women. Mom & I are very proud of you.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your parents' comments! I love you, too! You really made me smile by sharing Maya Angelou's words. I hadn't read this poem yet. It's so beautiful.

    You are beautiful, inside and out, even when you don't feel you are. I am so glad to have you as a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey,

    Thank you for being you! You are an incredible woman.

    I know the days are crazy but we will make it!

    I've got your back!

    I Love You!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendy,
    I just started a blog and invited Evelyn to read, and that is how I found yours (since she subscribes to it). I don't know if you remember me but I worked at the library for a while. From one mommy to another; I really enjoy your blog. I'm definitely following :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. RBSE Rajasthan Board Books Online or E-books are commonly loose to download and you can get them from RBSE Official website.Rbsesolutions.Com provides RBSE Books for in reality unfastened. Rajasthan 6th Class Books You can get all topics and all training of Rajasthan Board Books like Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Science, Hindi, English, Social Science, Commerce, Rajasthan History Books, Rajasthan University Books, Rajasthan Geography Books, Rajasthan Hindi Granth Academy Books, Rajasthan NCERT Books, Rajasthan Gk Books.

    ReplyDelete