About Me:

Aloha! I'm Wendy Kennar. I'm the mother of a seven-year-old son and a wife living in Los Angeles. I was a public school teacher for twelve years until a chronic medical condition made it necessary to leave my teaching career.

I've always been described as "quiet" - really, I'm just biting my tongue. I've got lots to say, and lots of thoughts to share, I just prefer to write them. That's the purpose of this blog. Each Wednesday, I post a personal essay offering my observations and thoughts.

A few fun facts about me: I've wanted to be a writer since second grade, when my teacher, Mrs. Jones, made me a "book" with a yellow construction paper cover. I have never learned to whistle, have always preferred sunflowers to roses, and have spent my life living within the same zip code.

Through the years, my writing has been published in the Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, United Teacher, GreenPrints, L.A. Parent, DivineCaroline.com, RoleReboot.org, XOJane, and Brain, Child Magazine. Additionally, my personal essays have been included in several anthologies, including: The Barefoot Review, Beyond the Diaper Bag, Lessons From My Parents, Write for Light, Being a Grown-Up: A User's Manual for the Real World, Ka-Pow!, How Writing Can Get You Through Tough Times, Breath and Shadow, The Grey Wolfe Storybook, and Sisters Born, Sisters Found.
I am a regular contributor at MomsLA.com, and you can also find me at Goodreads.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. Feel free to comment and share my blog with others!

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Trick or Treat


I’m not omnipotent, but if I was there are certain things I would do; big, lofty things like making sure no child was ever abused and making sure all children had a warm, safe place to call home.  On a much smaller scale, I’d amend Halloween.  Me, with my new powers, would change Halloween so it occurred on a fixed day-of-the-week rather than a fixed date.  Specifically, I’d choose the last Saturday of October.

As an elementary school teacher, let me just say that there isn’t a whole lot of teaching that occurs on Halloween.  There are parties, but not teaching per say.  I try to strike a compromise.  For the last several years, my upper-grade students enjoy a bagel and fruit brunch while they read aloud their October-themed fiction stories they’ve been working on all month.  Even with a more relaxed teaching day planned, most of my teacherly duties fall in line with “maintain order.”  

Additionally, you have to factor in time for children to change into their costumes for the school-wide parade.  Understandably, kids have other things on their minds besides being attentive in class.  Furthermore, most children have special events planned for later that afternoon and evening.  Which means homework completion is challenged, children aren’t getting the same amount of rest, and they will consequently come to school the next morning with the equivalent of a candy hangover.  Let’s not forget, the other part of our student population - the children who don’t celebrate Halloween so they choose not to attend school that day.

On the other hand, if Halloween had a fixed day, specifically a Saturday, parents would be responsible for all Halloween festivities and their side-effects.  Schools could then decide on a case-by-case basis how they wanted to celebrate this day of tricks-or-treats.

On that note, I hope my readers are enjoying more treats than tricks today (and everyday)!

3 comments:

  1. I think your idea of celebrating Halloween on a Saturday is great.Kids are just too wired being in school the day of Halloween.I also think some of the costumes parents allow their children to wear are way out of line.I just saw a T-Shirt in the store that read "Keep The Candy Give Me Money".I really don't understand how these types of things are on the market to sell.As always I look forward to reading your work each week.I am very proud of you and love you very much.
    love,mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect example of thinking out side of the box. I have never considered having Halloween on a fixed day, but your idea has merit. I don't know how to change the existing practice but I feel confident that others would embrace the change. In an election year your idea has my vote. Your Mother and I are proud of you.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey,
    This is such a unique perspective on Halloween!

    It really does seem to be a crazy time at school to get any quality teaching done with all the distracted and sugared up kids running around.

    I used to be one of those kids so I know how hard it can be! : )

    I am so proud of you and this blog you have created.

    I Love You!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete